March 30th. It was a fairly normal day at work and I was having contractions pretty close together but not terribly strong. I had trained my replacement already and was just hanging around just answering questions. 5 o'clock rolled around and I decided to bring home the rest of my belongings just in case. I called James to follow me home because the contractions were getting stronger. I had 2-3 contractions just on my drive home, but made it safely.
When we got home, I finished packing my bag, skipped dinner, and at about 7, we decided to head to the hospital because the contractions were coming on stronger. They monitored me for about an hour, and I remained at a one. So... they gave me a percocet and sent me home. While leaving the hospital, they got REALLY strong. I couldn't finish walking through the lobby, but we got in the car and went home anyway. Well, the percocet didn't even take the edge off, but instead made me super drowsy. I laid in bed, falling asleep from the drugs, but then would awaken every five minutes with excruciating contractions. After about an hour, I couldn't stand it any longer, and we headed back to the hospital.
As soon as we walk in, we see the nurse that sent us home no more than an hour ago, and by the look on her face I was shooting her daggers. They said they would check me in one of the labor rooms. I made myself comfortable by dressing in the gown ready for delivery. I was staying. They checked me and I was at a four, so good thing I had made myself at home. They quickly called the anesthesiologist in to administer the epidural. That was heaven!!! Not long after the epidural, I was alone in the room for a moment and I heard a pop and felt a big gush of water. Surprisingly, it broke on it's own. James and I tried to get a little rest while labor progressed. I was still drowsy from the percocet, so I was pretty comfortable and listened to music on my ipod for a couple hours.
At 2AM it was time to push, then push, and push some more. There were a few times the nurse had to leave for a moment, and just James and I were in the room while I pushed. I was scared James would have to deliver him. Luckily the doctor got there right on time.
4:17 AM, Jonas David Hillstead was born at 8 lbs 9 oz and 21 inches long. He came all on his own without any drugs (besides the epidural of course), so I was very grateful for that. He cried as soon as he came out, which was also a relief to me.
We took him home from the hospital two days later on his due date, April 2.

No comments:
Post a Comment