Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Vegetable Garden!

Our stake had some extra land next to our church and came up with the idea to have a stake garden plot. Since most of the stake is made up of condos and townhouses it's a great idea! I've always wanted a garden, so I was really excited to start.

At first we planted a bunch and some stuff died, so about a month later, we replanted a few things. Well, as you can see from the pictures below, we probably greatly underestimated the potential of our plants and they are taking over! We've had lots of success! We have bell peppers, yams, onions, shallots, watermelon, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, basil, roma tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes. Like I said, we underestimated their success and we probably planted a bit too much for our little 10X15 plot.

Here are our bell peppers. Those have been touch and go, but I think we'll have a good harvest. These were probably the hardest to care for.

Our zucchini plant! It's still growing, and this MAY have a disease because the leaves are a bit discolored and the zucchini grows a bit funny, kinda squash shaped. I have one at home we still need to try it, hopefully it's not bad!

We have TONS of cucumbers growing! We planted three different kinds and only two survived, Marketmore and Burpless, but those two are growing like crazy and we have about ten on each plant. So we will be sharing those too!

Our first ripe tomatoes! Our cherry tomato plants have done the best. We have three cherry tomato plants and each have grown like crazy. We will literally have hundreds of cherry tomatoes. Let me know if you want any!

More cherry tomatoes. I was trying to get a good shot of a spot where you can see tons and tons of them, maybe I should have pulled back so you could see the whole plant. They are HUGE.

Here is a different view of our cucumbers. You can see the tomatoes just behind them.

We have one yam plant and it's going out of control. It's all over the place. The basil is right next to it. Thinking of making and bottling some pesto.

And last but not least our miracle watermelon. We originally planted two watermelon plants. One died and one wasn't doing anything, so we replaced the dead one. Suddenly, not long ago, the one not doing anything decided it wanted to grow, so we have two great watermelon plants. Still waiting for some flowers, but hopefully that won't be long. I think they just like the warm weather better. You can also see our onions just beyond them.

We've really enjoyed gardening together. It's been a great learning experience. I feel like these plants are our little children. :) I love watching them grow! I already have lots of ideas for next year. I want to bottle pickles and banana peppers, and maybe do a few more herbs. We may just need more than one plot next year to have enough space for everything!

1 comment:

  1. I love it all and I am super jealous, I wish I had a yard. There is just something so satisfying when you can actually see the fruits, or vegetables of your labor! We need to hang out soon I will call you this week!

    ReplyDelete