Sunday, January 8, 2012

Thanksgiving

This year for Thanksgiving we drove to LA to visit James' family. Jonas met most of his Hillstead cousins for the first time, and James and I met our new nephew Soloman.
From left to right, here's Carter, Jonas, Emmy, Soloman, Gray, and Austin. Jonas sure loved his Hillstead cousins and for a few days after we arrived home, it seemed he was wondering where all the kids went!

It was a nice relaxing few days as we hung out. James and I ran on the beach one day. We wished we could go to the beach every day.

This was Jonas' first long road trip. He did awesome. His aunt Haley sat in the back seat with him and fed him bottles and snacks during the drive. He even kept his nap schedule. The kid likes his sleep.

On our way home, we decided to take the drive in one day, since James had to be back at work on the following Tuesday. At about 10 miles outside of Mesquite, our car started making noises, then finally the engine stopped. We coasted downhill and off the closest exit. We call our insurance to recommend a tow. After about 30 minutes the tow came. 
Here we are in the middle of nowhere waiting for the tow. Luckily it was warm outside.

And here are Jonas and Haley in the back of the tow truck. 

When we got the repair shop, they assessed that we had seized the engine and it was dead. Great. The closest rental car place was St. George, so we had to wait for them to drive to Mesquite to pick us up. So, we finally made it home by rental car at midnight. It was the longest day of my life for sure! Jonas was easy through the whole thing. I think if that would have happened at the stage he is at now, it would be a different story. He does not want to sit still now. 

James drove back to Mesquite the following weekend and picked up the car and we replaced the engine at a nearby mechanic. Luckily for emergency savings or we would be down to one car, the car that I'd really rather not have as our primary car. 

Before the trip, I was going to write a post of the things I was thankful for, but then got really busy with a new calling. I would still like to mention a few things I was previously going to write about. 

During the past few months especially I have been loving life. Even though our budget has gotten tighter on one income, and we've had a few other financial setbacks, I've realized that it's not what you have in your life but who you have.

I am so grateful to have a companion in James. When we met we were instant friends and felt I never had to hide anything from him and always felt so natural by his side. He has never made me feel ashamed or embarrassed, and I have had plenty of embarrassing moments. He supports me 100% in all of my ambitions. 

Lucky for me, I also have a son that is as mellow and even tempered as his dad. There are moments every day where Jonas can be such a ham and make me laugh. He rarely cries and is pleasant to be around. Not only do I feel so grateful even have a son, but that Jonas is MY son. He's our little buddy.

I count my blessings every day for the wonderful people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment